In the spirit of reconciliation Kodály Australia acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
Read our statement Kodály Australia Stands Against Racism and Discrimination from July 2020.
Kodály Australia is currently developing a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) through Reconciliation Australia.
Australian perspectives on reconciliation and inclusion
- Reconciliation Australia – the national peak body for reconciliation across Australia
- First Languages Australia map – videos, interviews and sound bites of your local language
- Word Up – ABC podcasts on Australian First Nations languages
- Bangarra Dance Theatre Australia – Winhanga-rra (hear, think, listen) teachers’ professional learning program
- ISME Thought Leader Session: Deborah Cheetham in conversation with Margaret Barrett & Susan O’Neill – recording of the webinar
- The Importance of Inclusion: Deborah Cheetham with Gabriella Di Laccio (founder and curator of the project DONNE, Women in Music) – recording of the webinar
- Short Black Opera
- Including First Nations Perspectives in the Music Room – Kodály Victoria webinar
- Aboriginal Music and Torres Strait Islander Music in the Primary Classroom by Deb Brydon
- Minyangbu (How many?) – Learning to count in Yugambeh through song based on Western vocal exercises. Permission to share granted by Candace Kruger from Yugambeh Youth Aboriginal Corporation
- 2021 AMEB Online Orchestra – Morning Star and Evening Star written by Candace Kruger
International perspectives on inclusion
- Songs with a questionable past – a document with listing and social and historical context
- Black Lives Matter, Music Ed, and Current Discourse – recording of the webinar
- Women of Classical Spotify playlist
Facebook discussion groups
If you have suggestions for resources to assist music educators, please get in contact with us as we would love to hear from you.
On behalf of Kodály Australia, I write to thank you for your support this year and offer our best wishes for the festive season. I trust that your work for this year is nearing completion and that you will soon …
The Kodály Australia National Council were delighted to receive impressive applications and nominations for the 2022 Awards for Excellence in Australian Kodály-inspired Music Education. It was inspiring to see a high number of peer-nominations across each of the five categories. …
I am humbled to be elected as President of the Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia. The President along with members of the National Council provide leadership and governance of our association. I look forward to working with the 2022-2024 Council members …
On behalf of Kodály Australia, I write to thank you for your support this year and offer our season’s greetings. I trust your work has now wrapped up for the year, and you are celebrating the festive season with family …
It is an honour to introduce you to the 2022 Awards for Excellence in Australian Kodály-inspired Music Education. These awards aim to recognise members of our community who in the past two years have made an exceptional contribution and impact …